Monday, January 1, 2018

Why So Many Positive Reactions to Baby Driver?


I remember back when Baby Driver came out, I was sitting in my Classical Film Theory class, completely unaware of the movie's existence until some people in class started talking about how good it was, and then the professor expressed her discontent at the fact that she wasn't able to watch it at the nearby theater because she had the wrong showtime or something. Understandably, sitting in a class full of smart film students, I felt that I was missing out on something big - so come holiday break, I sat my butt down and watched it.

One thing I will say for this movie is that it wasn't a chore to watch at all. Despite the length of the movie, it didn't feel exceedingly long, and after it finished, I was pretty satisfied. Granted, after about a fourth of the movie or so, my thoughts were a variation of "this is so weird but also it's not bad".

As you can probably tell from the earbuds in Baby's ear in the movie poster, music plays a huge role in the film. I love how the music is constantly synced up to diegetic sound and film sequences - I'm thinking of the "fireworks" sequence in Kingsman where everyone's head blows off to music - because it makes everything more quirky and fun, which is undoubtedly part of what this film is. I also really loved the long take right after the title screen, where Baby is walking to and from the coffee shop after another successful robbery (at least, I think it was a long take - by the time I started paying attention to the lack of cuts, it was nearly the end of the scene). Either way, this film did some really cool things with the shots and the music, and I may have enjoyed it for that more than for the plot.

At the same time, people were saying that this movie is so good and I don't feel that. It's so unique, yes, but not in a wow this is such a cool movie way, but in a this movie does cool things way. Also, at least twenty-five percent of the reason I watched this movie has to be the pretty posters - the one in this post and the other one with the gun shooting out a car, against a pink background. They're so eye-catching and I cannot stop staring at the shade of pink.

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @itsmepreethi on Instagram