Friday, January 5, 2018

Each Leigh Bardugo Book Is More Glorious Than The Last


The only Leigh Bardugo book I haven't gotten around to yet is the second installment to Six Of Crows, i.e. Crooked Kingdom. I hear it's great, and yet I'm pretty positive that I'm not going to love it as much as The Language of Thorns because TLOT is so so beautiful. As in better than the original Grimm fairytales, beautiful.

Going into this collection of short stories, I never doubted that I would love it - even despite not being unquestionably in love with the author as I know many readers are. However, what I didn't anticipate is how much I would love it. If there weren't so many mature themes in this novel, you bet I'd be reading this to any little children that happened to come my way.

This is one of those books that I'm glad I own, because not only is the cover as well as the naked book absolutely gorgeous, but I can already see myself re-reading these Grisha fairytales time and time again. All six of the fairytales included are unique, one of a kind, and oh so memorable. They also have powerful morals that Grimms' fairytales certainly don't bother to explore. Honestly, I'd be so on board with some of these stories being full-length novels, especially the final story, "When Water Sang Fire".

I love this collection of stories in a way that I don't love either of Bardugo's other series (don't get me wrong though, all of her books are really good). Luckily for those of you who have yet to have the pleasure of reading a Bardugo novel, you don't have to have read her other books to read this one - TLOT is a collection of fairytales that characters in her stories aka the Grisha universe grew up on. I kind of wish I grew up on these stories as well.

My favorite thing about these tales: unhealthy love and stupid princes are knocked down at least fifty thousand rungs on the fairytale ladder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @itsmepreethi on Instagram