Friday, February 23, 2018

Surprise Me: A Warning Against Marriage?


Me describing this book to people: It's about a married couple that finds out that they're both super healthy and have a good sixty-eight years ahead of them. Instead of being happy about their long life expectancies, they begin freaking out about how they're going to make their marriage work for that long, because apparently when people make marriage vows and claim they'll love each other forever, they don't actually mean forever.

I was pretty hesitant going into this book, both when adding it to my tbr as well as when I actually picked it up and began reading. I've read a couple Sophie Kinsella novels before, and loved quite a few of them, but this would be the first one I've read that features a married couple, and I wasn't sure I'd be into that. And taking that further, a married couple story always leaves a window open for affairs and whatnot, and I'm certainly not here for something as depressing as that. Nevertheless, I figured I'd give the book a chance, because the only Sophie Kinsella I've read that bored me to tears was The Undomestic Goddess, and what are the chances of that happening again? (And you'll be happy to note that thankfully, this is not a married couple story that revolves around that open window.)

As I continued reading Surprise Me, I grew convinced that an alternate title for the book could be "Marriage: You Should Know What You're Getting Into". Things went so horribly wrong - sometimes hilariously - with the two partners, Sylvie and Dan, and at times, the stress of their marriage made we want to forswear marriage completely in favor of a happy and healthy mental state. Which begs the question the title of this post poses.

Luckily, I kept reading, because oh, this book so has that Kinsella British romance thing that her other books have. Also, apparently I was really in need of some British love and humor because this book totally did it for me despite my hesitancy in picking it up. The characters grow on the reader fairly quickly, and you really see the effort both Sylvie and Dan make to make each other happy, and wow, that's the kind of love you want, y'all. There's also an interesting bit about Sylvie's family that adds an extra oomph to the story; you don't exactly see it coming, but at the same time, you knew there was something off. I don't know how Kinsella writes such likable, well-rounded stories - that sounds so boring but I swear it's perfect - but there it is.

Additionally, I just adore the idea of poking your marriage with a stick. It's exactly as scary as it sounds.

2 comments:

  1. I NEED THIS BOOK OMGGGGGGGGG. And wait, did you say you never read a Kinsella book that features married couples? BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SHOPAHOLIC SERIES????? You really, really need to pick it up- just try the first book- they aren't married in it but still- it has everything you said here and more and doesn't revovle around that open window you were talking about and the male lead is like...I'd marry him xD Also, I'm sorry to say The Undomestic Goddess didn't work for you! I've loved all the Kinsella books I've read so far ahaha. Anyhoo, great review, and thanks for reminding me to pick this one up! <33

    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopaholic is another one where I've read the movie but not read the book, oops!! I did adore the movie though! I'm definitely hoping to pick it up someday in the hopefully near future.

      I hope you really love this book when you get to it!! It's a bit slow at the beginning but picks up around either page 50 or 150...I can't remember. Also, I guess I should probably stalk your goodreads and see which Kinsella books you've already read lol.

      Delete

Follow @itsmepreethi on Instagram