Monday, July 1, 2019

Shall We Pretend Voice 3 Never Existed?


My feelings toward Voice 3 are so incredibly complicated. I loved the first week (which is to say, the first two episodes) of this drama so much, as you can clearly tell by the fangirl-y post I wrote about it. But the rest of the season didn't live up to that first week. Why? Mainly because whereas the first week featured a brilliant Code Zero case that involved saving Korean tourists in Japan, all whilst they were trying to keep Do Kang-woo out of the hands of Japanese detectives, the rest of the season had very few other such cases.

Voice and Voice 2 had roughly a new Code Zero case each week while also having an overarching plot that is taken care of between these cases; Voice 3, however, instead chose to focus on the overarching plot and scatter at most 2-3 cases throughout the entire season. And this was disappointing. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the heck out of this season - no, I genuinely adored it. It wasn't quite as good as Voice 2, but I love all of the characters so much at this point that it didn't matter. Plus it's not that the plot was bad - if anything, the stakes were even higher than in the previous season - it was just that it wasn't as exciting and charming as Voice 2 had been.

Now that everything is said and done, the story behind Do Kang-woo really is quite brilliant, and I really like how things unfolded. I do wish there had been more scenes between Kang Kwon-joo and Do Kang-woo in this season - Voice 2 was ripe with such scenes and cute banter, which is a big part of why I loved it so much - but plot-wise, everything was great. Granted, Do Kang-woo didn't do all that much other than stand around looking angry at the world (and to be fair, the writers of the drama really do love torturing the man), but whatever - I adore his character no matter what he's doing. My biggest problem with this season is, in fact, the ending. I hate it so much.

I was all ready to end the season on a high note, being fully in love with it despite its apparent flaws, when the writers really went and wrote that ending. My biggest concern before the final episode was that there wouldn't be a Voice 4 because no actor in his right mind would be willing to do another season of just standing around and looking pretty, but then the writers did what they did and completely shattered my heart, but in a very boring and frankly, dumb way. It's not even that it doesn't fit with the story - it makes sense - but if that's really what they wanted to do, then they should have at least written it better, i.e. with more emotion and drama. Even the ending of Voice 2 had me in exhilarated shock, whereas not only was the final episode of Voice 3 anticlimactic, but it also left me feeling really unsatisfied and disappointed.

I still love this drama to infinity and beyond - I feel like I haven't found something this much up my alley since Mystery Queen - but if I had the opportunity to erase the ending from my memory and force the writers to write me a new one, would I do it? Yes, a million times yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @itsmepreethi on Instagram