Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Falling In Love With Aladdin All Over Again


I hadn't really been excited for Aladdin - sure, I'd watched and enjoyed the live action versions of Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast, but I felt that live-action remakes were getting old really fast. In fact, I hadn't even planned on watching the film in theaters, but other people's excitement rubbed off on me and I couldn't stop myself from going. I ended up having a glorious experience: I love spectacle, and this film gave it to me.

When you think Jasmine and Aladdin are too cliché but you keep watching and you were wrong.
That moment you realize that Will Smith is actually a brilliant Genie.

It's been quite a while since I watched the animated Aladdin, and that made me enjoy this film that much more. There were obvious scenes from the original film that I'd completely forgotten about, and it made those moments that much sweeter when watching the live-action. And you'd think this film would be boring because it's pretty much the animated version, except live, but NO. Everything about this film is perfect; just like with the live-action Beauty and the Beast, Disney creates new depth to the characters (although let's be real, Aladdin did it better). And the actors and actresses really bring the original, beloved figures to life! I don't have qualms about any of them! And wow they all sing really well? I am very impressed.

Jasmine being her usual gorgeous, genius self who doesn't buy into the Prince Ali of Ababwa nonsense.

I've been feeling pretty meh about Disney movies lately - I rewatched Mulan a couple months ago and I felt nothing; even Li Shang started to annoy me (I know, it's terrible) - but this live-action film has reminded me of why I loved the original Aladdin in the first place. It really does justice to the original animated feature, and this is hands down the best live-action remake Disney has done so far; I doubt any of the others will top this. The film is gorgeous from beginning to end, and ugh, I fell in love with each and every character, except the villains, all over again! It's so heartwarming and makes me feel warm inside - and don't even get me started on how much I love Princess Jasmine, and Naomi Scott's portrayal of her. The laughs in this film are ridiculous and cute, and Will Smith has outdone himself as the genie. Even Aladdin was perfect, as was the magic carpet. I have zero complaints, and I loved every minute of the movie. Hopefully I'll get to go again this weekend and show my mom this masterpiece that she was too lazy to accompany me to the first time.

2 comments:

  1. I was a bit meh about this originally, because the trailer didn't impress me all that much, and as you mentioned as well: live action remakes are starting to get boring. To be honest, I didn't love any of them so far: I liked Beauty and the Beast, but I was bored out of my mind during Cinderella, and I have no interest in Dumbo. Anyhow, I've been hearing some great things about Aladdin, so now I really-really want to watch it, but the only version they are showing in theaters is dubbed AND they translated and re-recorded the songs in Hungarian (which they usually do with family/kid movies), and I'm not sure I'm into that, so I might have to do until the DVD is out, or it becomes available on Netflix. *cries* Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, it really sucks that there isn't a non-dubbed version of the movie available yet - I can't even imagine having to wait. I'm with you re: the non-impressive trailer, but everything about the film turned out to be absolutely brilliant! I really hope you love it when you finally have the chance to watch it!

      Delete

Follow @itsmepreethi on Instagram